This photo was not taken today. It was actually taken late in the day yesterday after Diana had shown us a new found skill. After a couple weeks of showing signs of wanting to interact more with her environment, reaching out and touching things nearby, and even the occasional lean forward, Diana surprised both Mommy and Daddy by her new abilities to show what she wants.
After a wonderful morning spent together, Daddy and Diana were walking around the living room with Diana sitting in Daddy's arms so that her back was to her Daddy's chest. Both dad and daughter were perfectly content. Suddenly, out of the bedroom walked Mom. Without any hesitation, both Diana's arms immediately stretched out towards Mommy as she leaned forward, clearly saying, "Mommy! Come take me away from the Daddy-man. I'm done with him." (It was only well later that she graced us with this rather unhappy face.)
Pictures of our happy little candy cane are much more pleasant to look at.
Then, of course, there's this one where Diana tries on one of her bath robes for the first time. I can almost hear her thinking, "Well, now that I'm so big, I guess I'd better start wearing big people things like bath robes. I sure am going to miss my snuggly hooded towels though."
And finally, tonight, I've got to share with you something that we all know but sometimes fail to remember. That, of course, is...LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER.
On December 22, I thought the best Christmas present I would receive this year would be having my mom and sister with me to celebrate Diana's first Christmas. On December 24, my sister almost topped that by giving me the best scrap book I think she's ever made. However, by the 26th, my mom had given me the best gift of all. Knowing that I have had many frustrating experiences trying to get my little girl to fall asleep, quickly giving Diana to her mother after crying a while, and having had easy grandmotherly success throughout her weekend here, my mother, rocking her soundly sleeping grandaughter during her morning nap, looked up at her son and said in simple, motherly wisdom and direction, "You just need to be a little more patient."
And, of course, she was right. At least 4 times this past weekend, Dad showed that he really can show more patience than his daughter can show discontent. The reward of snuggle time with a sleeping Diana is worth more than any of the stress of involved in getting her there.
Thanks, Mom.
2 comments:
That little princess gets cuter every day! And I just want to squeeze those juicy thighs!!
I found that giving Jack Tylenol while waiting to get the vacs really helped him back then. Now he is big enough to understand and start screaming BEFORE we even get into the vaccination room! Not fun to pin down your child so some one can stick a needle in them.
Awww, that is too cute! She is getting cuter by the minute! Love to all!
Post a Comment